Monday, December 10, 2007

A 'Bookie's' Dilemna.....

A strange problem seems to have assailed me these days. Though my hunger to read more and more books has not diminished, my reading speed seems to have come down considerably. This has meant that along with the other things that I have to fit into the mandatorily allotted 24 hours, (most notably eating, sleeping and pursuing legal studies), I barely get anytime at all to devote to reading. I am also afraid that the laziness which has been creeping up stealthily on me for the past 3 1/2 years has finally caught up even with my book-reading habit. I had a good mind to blame the complex legal language that we are forced to 'interpret' and 'reinterpret', as the reason for all these ills. The only thing that deterred me from doing so was the 'sudden' realisation that this peculiar illness does not seem to have striken my fellow law school-ites at all. They are still busy devouring all the books that they can get their hands on. To top it all off, a subsidiary illness that has befallen me is the leave-books-half-read illness. This illness, let me warn you it is an extremely irritating, guilt inducing and depressing sort of illness with no known cure except a cast iron willpower.

Therefore, I have decided on a new-and-early new year's resolution:
1. Read all the books you want to,
2. Finish them all,
3. Do not let the ignominy of having to return books to the library - unread after having gotten it re-issued fall on you,
4. Also if possible, avoid having to reissue books from the library. Finish it within the original three days.

These resolutions, if at all I keep them, (i'll write a post on the fate of most of my new year resolutions another day) ought to bring me slowly back to my old self. So... wish me luck!!!

No comments: