Saturday, June 14, 2008

Seasons

They served us Aloo-Matar for lunch in the mess today. A perfectly fine meal, well cooked, tasty too. So what is the problem? The ‘problem’ is the matar (peas). Matar in summer/monsoons? I always thought that matar was a winter vegetable. But now matar (both of the ready to eat, frozen as well as the ‘fresh’ variety) is available all throughout the year. So are gobi and carrot and so many other vegetables that I had been told and knew to be available only in a particular season.

The same with fruits. I was in Bombay recently and there I came across ‘American’ apples. Huge, and brilliantly red (every last one of them, down to the very last speck). Now first of all, again, isn’t apple supposed to be a ‘winter’ fruit? And there it was sitting nice and pretty on the fruits vendor’s thela bang in the middle of the summer (and brilliantly red to boot!) Also, what was special about that apple apparently was that it didn’t rot at all… for days on end. It was always fresh and ready to eat and remained like that for atleast a week. Atleast that was how long I kept it to test his claim and nope, it hadn’t rotted at all…. Infact it wasn’t even over-ripe (ofcourse I had to keep it in the fridge – but still!)

Then ofcourse there is the curious incident of the litchis in Calcutta. For those of you not in the know, Litchis are extremely delicious fruits (my favourite). They are also very delicate (they rot very easily) and do not grow many parts of India. Infact, the best litchis are said to be available only in Bihar and Jharkhand and even if they are available in a few other eastern parts, they are not half as fresh or delicious (since they have already undertaken a long journey in their surprisingly short lives). Also, the true litchi skin is supposed to be thin (but not too thin) and red on the outside, colourless on the inside and the litchi itself is deliciously white and juicy. Now, till about two years ago, it used to break my heart to leave home and come to Calcutta in June since litchis were either not available in Calcutta, or even the small quantities that were, used to be exorbitantly priced, rotting and basically not a patch on the litchis available back home. Now suddenly, since the past two years, Calcutta is flush with bright (and deceptively) red litchis, whose skins are way too thin, and are pink! on the inside, and the litchi is not rotting, but is pretty tasteless and does not justify the bright red colour that the skin exhibits! Other fruits and vegetable too are available out of turn and out of place and season e.g. green grapes (they are now available at all times except the monsoons) and bhutta (corn). Others exist I’m sure, but they do not strike me at present.

So I ask… are these the fruits (quite literally) of plant biotechnology? In other words, are they the result of genetic tinkering? I do not presume to pass judgment on whether such use of technology is good or bad for human health etc etc. Lawyers will tell you that it is a sticky issue and I do not like sticky. All that I have a problem with is the fact that all this ‘development’ has robbed each season and each place of it’s unique speciality and personality. I like the fact that you get different vegetables at different times of the year, I like that some places have certain delicacies (of the fruit and vegetable kinds) that are not available elsewhere. I also like my fruits and vegetables to behave normally and ripen when they have to and rot when they ought to.

All else is like deceiving nature. It reminds me of what Wordsworth once said,
If this belief from heaven be sent,
If such be Nature’s holy plan,
Have I not reason to lament
What man has made of man
?’

- From ‘Lines Written in Early Spring’.

9 comments:

What's In A Name ? said...

I know for sure that Doranda is the place to look for a variety of fruits and they all look posotively farm-fresh but, Calcutta is a pretty big city. Ask and you shall get what you ask for.I wonder why you haven't come across luscious litchis or delectable green grapes before.

Sroyon said...

Nowadays the only people who respect "Nature's holy plan" seem to be Naturals Ice Creams in Bombay. Many of their flavours actually are seasonal. I know this because it has long been my ambition to try out every single one of their flavours, but since I've been in Bombay only in October and March-May, I am yet to sample Guava, Musk and Strawberry. It is a source of great frustration.

PS: I note you've added the word verification. Was I successful in converting you to my school of thought? Or is this revenge?

Indecision Personified said...

@ what's..: - Glad to see your comment, feels nice to know that I have more than two readers. and yeah Ranchi was never a problem concerning fresh fruits and vegetables. In calcutta, what I do not like is that litchis seems to have this unnatural pink shade on the inside of their skin... and yes green grapes are always delectable but them too I had thot to be available only in a particular season and was therefore surprised to find them all year round. Will have to try other places in Cal + will have to try asking for the specific variety I want... let's see if that yeilds better results.

@Sroyon: - ha ha.. true. Tho.. if you ask me.. I had their strawberry flavour this time (with 'real' strawberries) and believe you me.. u're better off not having tasted it.
and the word verification was pure revenge...:-) but considering that I too have to go thru it to reply to comments, it is unlikel;y to become a long-term feature!

What's In A Name ? said...

You keep posting......and I will be a regular here. :) ( i.e as jobless as I am these days)

The Reluctant Rebel said...

Speaking of fruit have you guys tried the mother dairy natural tubs. I tried the strawberry and it blew my mind. Speaking of that Sryon you owe mae a treat. What say?

Sroyon said...

@manavi: Retain WV. It's fun. And you've misspelt "yields" in your comment. I suppose it was unintentional, but it reminded me of this funny post:
http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/yeilding-to-misspelling/

@saha: You jackass, if you wish to communicate with me, you should at least take the trouble to do so on either my blog or your own. But as for the treat, you're on!

Indecision Personified said...

@rahul: no I have not tried mother dairy... but people tell me it's really nice. So will try it sometime soon.

@sroyon: never realised 'yeild' was that common a mis-spelling... though it was unintentional.. it feels nice to know i'm not the only one making the mistake. :-) btw.. how are you now? btw realised a strange thing abt WV... remind me to tell you the next time I see you around!

Gammafunction said...

As for unseasonal fruits all the year around,I avoid them by not opting to eat them.e.g I hardly ever eat mangoes in Bangalore-who would want to eat the lowly Baiganpalli or raspuri after having partaken of the ambrosial Langda.Sometimes when I read your posts,I have the feeling of being back in your living room-the things you talk about seem vaguely familiar. :-)

and yes, I am pretty much here in India. :-)

Indecision Personified said...

@Gammafunction: - I actually like baiganpalli... I love the amount of 'mango' it has... but yeah i agree with the general sentiment.

And 'vaguely familiar'? They should be as familiar to you as they are to me... :-).