Thursday, June 11, 2009

Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

I have, as of yesterday, entered the shade of the banyan tree.

I would have thought that after five years of staying in hostel, and doing summer internships for four of those years, I would be used to the idea of staying 'alone' and working. Turns out I am not. I have shocked myself. Never expected myself to get homesick. But, am so so homesick, after just one day of work and going home to an empty flat. Every time I think of home, I choke up ... it's frustruating really... never thought of myself as an emotional, sentimental fool.

I will return when I am myself again. Ciao.

7 comments:

Abhiroop said...

At the risk of sounding insensitive....

The trick is never to return to your flat alone!! :)

Jokes apart, I felt exactly the same this Monday, when I came back home for the first time to an empty flat. It was horribly silent. Even the pigeons werent around.

God I hate growing up.

Indecision Personified said...

@Abhiroop: I know... :( Me too.

Rohit said...

Manavi, who told you that feeling 'homesick' tantamounts to being 'an emotional, sentimental fool"?? At least I will never take that. Turn on the music, when you reach your 'empty' flat. Or even the Bombay FM. Will hopefully give you the feeling of someone being there. And don't worry, you have always rocked. Will rock again. It’s just a matter of time. Take care
:-)

And Lahiri not everyone like you can afford the 'luxury' of not returning to their flats alone !!!

Sroyon said...

There ought to be a law against people with girlfriends/boyfriends acting smug, as Larry persists in doing.

Indecision Personified said...

@ larry: - If only I knew the whole story before I replied to your comment, it would have been very different! :-P

@Rohit: Hey, never knew you were a reader too. Nice to se you here. And thanks. Am much much better now. Settling in nicely.

@Sroyon: - I second your proposition.

Abhiroop said...

Hawwwwwwwwwww. Stop ganging up against me, you kangaroos. And Manavi, where art thou expatriate loyalty??? We castaways should stick together....

Phenomenal Thinker said...

Honestly, the loneliness hits very hard. The FM idea works very well, the Radio Jokecys' incessant rattle really makes you believe some one is there, conversing with you! But there is no permanent remedy except for the fact that you "get used to it" as cliched as it may sound...